are you using Fedora in a production environment?

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sat Oct 28 13:14:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

Max Spevack írta:
> Are you using Fedora in a production or live enviornment?  Are you
> using large deployments of Fedora, in some sort of "critical"
> capacity?  Do you know someone who is, and will you forward this email
> to them?

I am.

> If you are, I want to hear all about it.  I'm trying to gather data
> for some Fedora myth-busting exercises, and also to inform some of our
> decision making for Fedora 7.
>
> What's your setup like?

I am using it for an POS/backoffice software that
I wrote some years ago that was deployed on
RedHat 7.3. It is maintained also by me since that time.
(E.g. it was ported to using UTF-8 when RH8/RH9 came)

> What is it about Fedora that made you choose to use it, as opposed to
> something else?

Mostly the comfort. As I knew and worked with RedHat
before, it was a no-brainer.

> What works well for you?

I mainly care about a working PostgreSQL server and
the GNOME environment and it served well.
The PostgreSQL is performing well for the
sub-100 millisec serial protocols of the POSes
as it provides less than 2 millisec response times
even on a loaded machine.

> What could be better?

I don't recall anything that wasn't solvable.

> etc, etc.  Anything you care to share with me.
>
> Reply on-list, reply to me directly, whatever works best for you.
>
> Thanks,
> Max

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi