are you using Fedora in a production environment?

Avi Kivity avi at argo.co.il
Mon Oct 30 09:38:23 UTC 2006

Max Spevack wrote:
> What's your setup like?

We have one IT server (Fedora 5), performing the following services:
  File server (on software RAID 1):
     NFS
     CIFS
     HTTP
  Subversion
  Web services:
       wiki
       bug tracking
       action item management
       subversion browser
       subversion webdav
  MySQL for bug tracking/action item management
  DNS
  DHCP
  NIS
  Shell (ssh and vnc servers)
  NTP (client and server)
  Firewall/NAT
  VPN (openvpn)
  TFTP for network boot
  Backup (tape changer)
  Fedora repository mirror
  Mail relay (postfix)
  i386 chroot for compilation

About 5 desktops run fedora (5/6), 10-15 prefer Windows.

> What is it about Fedora that made you choose to use it, as opposed to
> something else?

I'm used to it.  It's free.  We develop for Linux.

> What works well for you?

Kickstart is excellent for network installation. We have 30-40
development servers, mostly running Fedora, and unattended network
install is great.

lvm/ext2online is excellent

Yum is great (but see below)

The development toolchain

Having tons of packages on a local mirror, so one doesn't have to
download/compile/install and then worry about updates

> What could be better?

Single sign on: there are different user/password databases for ssh,
vnc, subversion, samba, vpn, the various web-based services, and
probably more.  It's a total mess.

'Yum upgrade' should work well, and should be supported.  It is the
natural way to upgrade.  Currently it's quite a fight to upgrade an
x86-64 installation.

.rpmnew files aren't working.  There are too many false positives to
inspect, so I ignore it and fix things when they break.

selinux stops working as soon as you do something unorthodox, so it's
disabled everywhere.
Disks changing names (hda->sda)