new printer with new PPD file

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Sep 1 19:01:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 14:35 -0400, Louis Garcia II wrote:
> I just installed an HP Officejet 6310 on my network and noticed that FC6
> does not support this. I have downloaded the ppd file for this printer
> and am not sure where it goes. This uses the hplip package and I believe
> this file should go
> under /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/HP/all_in_one/hp_officejet_*
> Is this correct?
>
> Also I noticed the new config-printer tool has a Provide PPD file
> option, is this the better way?
>
> -Louis

Louis,

If I have a PPD file, I always just use CUP's lpadmin command. There is
no faster way to add to the printer.

Here is an example:

lpadmin -p phaser860 -E -P /path/to/yourPPD/tk860dp1.ppd -v http://phaser860.gurulabs.com:80/ipp/

I wrote about this (with some more details) when CUPS first appeared in RHL9:

http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/RedHatLinux9-TechReview.php

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs