Standardising firefox plugin installation

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sun Sep 3 22:35:23 UTC 2006

søn, 03 09 2006 kl. 18:23 -0400, skrev Christopher Aillon:
> David Nielsen wrote:
> > It's come to my attention through painful experience that if you install
> > a plugin like gnash or the totem plugin there doesn't seem to be a set
> > standard for where to install these. This leads to many issues like
> > other gecko based browsers, like my beloved Epiphany, doesn't pick these
> > up.
> >

> It's been $libdir/mozilla/plugins since the Red Hat Linux days.  If you
> feel the need to go through some formal process of review for its
> location, go for it, but too many things already rely on that directory
> and it won't be changing.

I wasn't suggesting changing the directory as such, I merely wondered if
we had a standard (defacto or otherwise) since it did not appear that
way when actually checking if the plugins were picked up in Epiphany.

I'm happy to see that we do infact have an unofficial standard, now we
are still stuck with some issues. I take it since something like the
gnash plugin does install in the correct place not being picked up by
Firefox is a bug then?

- David