economic disadvantage of closed-source software and patents

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Sun Sep 10 13:00:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 03:06 -0700, Mashilamani Sambasivam wrote:
> Hello,
>   I wanted to get fedora developers' viewpoints
> on 10 slides:
> Brief Analysis And Generalisation of Closed-Source
> Software Business Models to All Maximum Profit Based
> Businesses
>
> http://www.archive.org/download/profitAndPoverty/slide1.html

I'm not sure that html slides belong on this list unless they are
wrapped in an rpm package ;-)

That said, I also think that if your goal is to talk about ending
poverty, you should read "The End of Poverty" by Jeff Sachs, and then
talk about how free and open source software fits into that model.  Your
presentation of an alternative conclusion based on microeconomics is
likely doomed to failure because it's not been peer reviewed
by /economists/.