FC5->FC6T3 (DVD) upgrade dies. Time to consider test4? (Was: Yum upgrade?)

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Sep 19 16:15:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Rahul wrote:

> alan wrote:

>>> FCn to rawhide is always supposed to work, else there would be no way to
>>> get testers on rawhide in the first place (all the maintainers who let the
>>> devel version of their package bitrot should remember this)
>>>
>>> What's allways been officially non-supported is update from rawhide to
>>> anything else (which is a shame)
>>
>> Last night I tested the upgrade on an i386 based install of FC5 using
>> FC6t3.
>>
>> Not good.
>>
>> It gets to the part where it figures out what to upgrade and bjorks with an
>> exception on the package "system-config-mouse" claiming that it contains an
>> unknown header of "basepath".
>
> Thats strange because system-config-mouse was dropped before FC5 release.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id2947593

Probably left over from the upgrade from FC4 to FC5.

This is going to bite anyone who upgrades FC4->FC5->FC6.

>> The system has a bunch of packages from Core, Extras and Freshrpms.net. It
>> had just been upgraded from FC4 within the last week or so with no
>> problems.  All the updates were current. I have not tested what happens if
>> I remove that one package.
>
> Can you check that?

I will tonight.  (I stopped working on it at 4:30am this morning.  At
least the insomnia was useful for something...)

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink