alsa-oss

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Wed Sep 27 17:14:48 UTC 2006

ons, 27 09 2006 kl. 11:35 -0500, skrev Fibonacci Prower:

> 2006/9/27, David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net>:
>         ons, 27 09 2006 kl. 09:46 -0500, skrev Fibonacci Prower:
>
>         >         to be honest, aoss sucks too. In fact any emulation
>         solution
>         >         so far is
>         >         pretty crappy in one way or the other ;-(
>         >
>         > But it's the best we've got so far.
>
>         No, native ALSA is the best we've got
>
> Even for OSS-only applications?

Fix them, we ship only applications where we can actually do that, out
of tree applications aren't our responibility

>         and soon it will be the only thing
>         we have since the OSS drivers are slowly being removed from
>         the kernel.
>         I don't think I can mention a single widely used program in
>         Core or
>         Extras that only works with OSS so I wouldn't be surprised if
>         the
>         emulation layer died around the same time as well seeing as it
>         has
>         served it's purpose.
>
> *COUGH* Flash plugin *COUGH*

*cough* GNash *cough* sure it's not up to date yet but that means we
have to test it more and help the developers.. it even uses gstreamer
for audio in CVS, the correct solution rather than directly requiring
OSS or ALSA.

>         >         It has been how long since ALSA took over? It's time
>         to phase
>         >         OSS out
>         >         entirely....
>         >
>         > What about Flash & Skype? Should we wait for new versions
>         using ALSA
>         > to be released in 208, and stop using them meanwhile?
>
>         Since when did we make technical decisions around proprietary
>         software?
>
> Proprietary software which used to work well, and for which you'll be
> intentionally removing support, I might add.

Pretty much, we have no means of fixing it. As both projects you
mentioned have working in progress ALSA implementations your argument is
void. Removing support entirely starting FC7 would not lead to a
regression in a stable series for proprietary software users.

>         >
>         >         (and skype is afaik even from after the alsa release
>         so they
>         >         have for
>         >         sure no excuse at all!)
>         >
>         > But they still use OSS - try to convince them to switch to
>         ALSA.
>
>         Start by convincing them to give us the code under a license
>         we can
>         distribute, then their maldesign can be taken into account.
>
> So you're basically saying, screw people that use Flash or Skype, no
> matter how many they are, we won't take them into account since those
> aren't free programs, and we don't care if there aren't any free
> alternatives at all.

Yes, and I'm a Skype user so don't pull that free software zealot stuff
on me. This is about the best possible technical solution for Fedora and
the software we can support within that realm.

Besides aoss is under review if it's going to slowly for you, join the
effort and get the work done so that it lives up to the Extras
standards.

- David Nielsen