sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Apr 5 11:38:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:33:23PM +0200, Trond Danielsen wrote:

> If I understand you right, you want Fedora to support all (or many) of
> the available init systems. I think this is a very bad idea. Creating
> a distribution is not about just shipping as many applications as
> possible, but to make some qualified choices so that the end user does
> not have to worry about every detail. After all, Fedora is not Gentoo.
> This only adds additional work on developers and packagers that could
> much rather have been spent on more useful things.

I think this is a very wrong direction for fedora. Free software is
about choice. And also being able to test innovative technologies.
The default init system should be privileged, but all should be present,
such that power users are able to test and use them. The directions that
developers and packagers want to follow, how they spend their time is
their business. If there are enough people interested in new init
systems, lets have them. As a project we have to watch out the packaging
quality, the integration in the distro and have good defaults. Our
mandate should not to be in the way of initiatives.

--
Pat