New mirror layout for the merged core and extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Apr 6 09:05:11 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 16:40 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Any feedback would be appreciated.  This could be expected to go live
>> as early as Monday Apr 9th.
> Any chance we could do that kind of change on a Friday night instead?
> That way, I can abuse my DSL line all weekend while the bandwidth isn't
> being counted. I already doubled my 'peak hours' allowance for last
> month when everything from Fedora/RPMS/ moved up a directory and spent
> all day copying on a Monday -- I'd rather not have it happen again.
> Obviously I could handle this manually for myself, but I suspect I'm far
> from the only one mirroring the tree for whom weekend bandwidth is
> cheaper than weekdays...

Last time Jesse did some major adjustments on the directory layout on
the server (one year ago iirc -- can remember what the reasons was) the
files were hardlinked into the new place and deleted one or two weeks
later in the old place; someone that regularly rsyncs with the proper
parameters doesn't have to download everything anew that way iirc. Isn't
this a option this time? Or am I missing something?

CU
thl