sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 09:15:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 10:48:38AM +0200, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> as far as the current state goes its alot easier and more maintainable
> if the scripts are in a central package.
>
> if you disagree not a problem. but id really expect then that you are
> going into the projects and fixing up the scripts individually then.

I am just saying that if somebody wants to do this we should not prevent
it. I am not saying I'll do it. If new init systems are not accepted
nobody will ever do the scripts, and so they will never be able to prove
that they are better or not. If they are accepted it isn't sure that
somebody would do the scripts, but it becomes possible.

> p.s. its always easy to say something has to happen if you are not
> planning on doing it.

I am not saying that it is going to happen, I am saying that we
shouldn't prevent it to happen.

--
Pat