Mirror/server RFE: Do not remove old kernel from updates.

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Mon Apr 9 15:31:56 UTC 2007

Leszek Matok wrote:
> Anyhow, supporting old versions of software indefinitely, because they
> can break some proprietary other piece of software, is totally against
> Fedora goals. Go to VMware and make them put their modules into the
> official kernel or learn how to fix things yourself (which in this
> particular case is very easy, thanks to VMware, which aren't that evil
> after all).
>
> Lam

Not running any proprietary software here.  Pure vanilla Fedora Core 6.
(Not even
livna enabled at the moment.)  However, kernel-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 broke
syslog.
Still investigating.  Currently suspect a race condition in udev which
fails to create
a node sufficiently "soon" for the normal start of syslog.  Currently
only a hypothesis
though.  Actual problem may be something else.  It has shown up on at
least one
other machine, based on an exchange on fedora-list.  We'll see whether there
are more widespread reports as more people notice that /var/log/messages is
empty.

My solution is to: first disable the yum-updatesd service.  Second,
change in
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf the line
     enabled=1
    enabled=0
This means that I run "yum update" regularly at an appropriate time
(just after
a backup) and regularly do a "df" to see whether I need (space in /boot
is critical)
to manually remove ("yum remove") some old kernels ("rpm -q kernel" for
a list).
Obviously, manually minding the store is not possible for everyone.