DeltaRPM works great on Fedora Core 6 (yum presto plugin)

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:06:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 12:05:43PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 11:55:13 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > There are obviously some fixes that are required at the client level:
> > yum presto plugin. However we can encourage the mirrors to presto enable
> > all the repositories right away.
>
> Well, we don't ask the mirrors to generate things, we generate things at the
> source and the mirrors just pick it up.  If the mirrors have to do something
> themselves, we've lost.
>
> > Since the client is in extras users can choose to install it for FC5,
> > FC6 and rawhide (this one is esp interesting right now) and we should
> > look at installing the plugin by default in F8.
>
> I really don't want to add this midstream to a released product.  The right
> process here is to get it working in rawhide during the open development
> cycle, start producing the content for it at the source, have it mirrored out
> and get more and more people beating on it during rawhide.  If it survives
> and makes it into the released product as a default, that's awesome, from
> that point on we use it.  Trying to start at a released product and port
> forward just seems backwards to me, and not something I want to expose all of
> our "stable" Fedora 6 users to.

It is great no doubt and I have been using it for a few days now.
Updating is no more that big a drain on the bandwidth.
Here an excerpt:

release                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
Setting up Presto
extras                    100% |=========================|  383 B    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================|  383 B    00:00
Reading Presto metadata in from local files
presto.xml.gz             100% |=========================|  54 kB    00:02
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 1.6 MB    01:18
extras    : ################################################## 5139/5139
<snip>
Size of all updates downloaded from Presto-enabled repositories: 156K
Size of updates that would have been downloaded if Presto wasn't enabled: 7.3M
This is a savings of 98 percent

Installed: tomcat4-servlet-2.3-api.noarch 0:4.1.31-7jpp
Updated: blobwars.i386 0:1.06-1.fc6 gaim-encryption.i386 0:3.0-0.2.beta8.fc6
Replaced: servletapi4.noarch 0:4.0.4-4jpp
Complete!
[root at fc6host ~]#

Is it possible to produce delta primary.xml files just as delta rpms?

The situation has changed now to xml files being bigger downloads than
the packages themselves.

Regards!
--
vikram...
--
You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.