packaging and binary incompatibility coming from the compiler

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 09:45:27 UTC 2007

Patrice Dumas writes:
 > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:28:48AM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Patrice Dumas writes:
 > >
 > > This is exhausting.  Please explain why the soname scheme does not
 > > work for changes in the compiler as well as for changes in the
 > > library!
 >
 > Maybe it does, but is it that way that such issues should be handled
 > in fedora? changing soname upon a compiler-related ABI breaking leads
 > to following another soname versionning scheme than upstream, I doubt
 > this is right, and I don't think such issues are handled that way in
 > fedora.

Maybe I'm having difficulty understanding you.  Is the problem that a
Red Hat compiler version is binary incompatible with the upstream
compiler?  And we have not handled library versioning correctly?

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903