perl package split - if you maintain a perl-* module, read this message.

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 14:38:31 UTC 2007

Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> writes:

>> MD> How many packages will break?
>>
>> Pretty much everything starting with "perl-".
>
> That's not all.  There are other packages that include perl support that
> will break (or autoconfigure out perl support unexpectedly).  IIRC one
> example is net-snmp.
>
> The best way to come up with a list probably is to see all the binary
> RPMs that depend on perl or a perl module.  Not all of them need
> perl-devel to build, but I'd bet most of them do.  A quick look at
> rawhide/i386 finds over 100 packages that don't have perl in their name
> that require perl.

Well, as Ralf points out elsewhere in the thread, this will break
packages upon rebuild, at which point they will need the appropriate
BuildRequires added...So I think this will be a problem only if the
package owner hasn't read this thread and isn't aware of the change.

So, what shall I do?  I feel like at this point the people in charge of
packaging quality of the distro should be involved on the call, not just
me.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood