Re: Release notes freezing for F7

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:32:05PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I would rather debug the problem under libata.  pci=off is a huge
> sledgehammer that we can surely avoid.

pci=off is used for a different reason. The BIOS firmware boots the controller
at 0x180 even though its cardbus or pcmcia. Our cardbus layer loads and
deconfigures it at which point the s**t hits the fan (actually the result is
more like a sewage tank going through a jet engine intake)

> pata_legacy would probably be the place to force libata to talk to
> arbitrary legacy ISA addresses, via a module option or two.

To kill the pci=off we need a cardbus driver for the chip, which old IDE
couldn't do (because we can't unload old-IDE PCI drivers)

Alan