Root filesystem encryption patch set

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Apr 25 20:27:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 14:53:14 -0400,
  Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 12:38 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 12:18 -0500, Thomas Swan wrote:
> > > The reason I'm pushing for inclusion, is the behavior is well
> > > documented (in the man page) it does not alter any existing and
> > > expected behavior from mkinitrd.  Secondly, it will give the Fedora
> > > community something we can work with while FC8 is in development and
> > > it provides a good base to jump from with FC8.
> >
> > Test4 is already shipped, so it's impossible.  Adding this after feature
> > freeze _and_ after Test4 has gone out is fairly ridiculous.  I'm not
> > opposing the feature by any means.  It's just not going into Fedora7.
>
> Yeah, just want to make sure this is clear - nobody's rejecting this
> feature at all, but it's far too late for any new features in F7.
>
> But remember, F8test1 is only a few weeks after F7.
>
> The fun never stops around here!!

The problem here is that the patches have been sitting around for plenty of
time to have gotten into one of the earlier test releases, but it didn't
happen. Who do we have to bug after F8 development starts to get those
patches in? It seems like the main people who were playing with this didn't
have direct access to commit stuff and for whatever reason the right people
weren't asked.

I doubt I will be playing with F8 test1, but I did want this feature in F7
and I need to upgrade a few machines from FC5, so I will probably try to
make this work on one of my boxes under F7 despite the extra pain.