Re: contributing a software through bugzilla

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 14:53 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RC> Yes, I withdrew two packages of mine after they had been lingering
> RC> around in the queue for 14 months and turned away from fedora to
> RC> shipping them via a 3rd party repo, instead.
>
> Well, you certainly understand the reasons behind those.

As I see it, the reasons were (in decreasing order):

1. rpm/rpmbuilds's brokenness
2. Package complexity, mostly being introduced by 1.)
3. Reviewers' lack of competence to understand the need of
   the complexity.
4. Highly specialized packages with small userbase/audience.
5. GuideLines incompleteliness (The packages are touching areas the
guidelines don't cover).
..

>   I don't
> think we have many packages currently blocked on guidelines, so those
> packages surely aren't typical.
Agreed, my packages were outside the "usual class of packages" Fedora
can handle.

As I see it, community contributed Fedora is only able to handle
"trivial, mass-market" packages. I'd presume that most "non-trivial
packages", which currently are part of Core and 100% under RH control
(E.g. GCC, kernel, glibc, perl ...) would have never made it into FE.

Ralf