Standard naming scheme for KDE components?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 14:00:53 UTC 2007

On 28/04/07, Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com> wrote:
> I was wondering this recently for Emacs-related packages.  Some are
> called "emacs-whatever" but there are exceptions, for instance w3m-el.
> Having "emacs" in the name is nicer for searches.

Emacs add-on package naming is covered in the guidelines. It is
complicated by the existence of Xemacs and the fact that many add-on
packages work for both GNU Emacs and Xemacs.

(X)Emacs that work for either version of emacs should have the main
package called emacs-common-foo, with a sub-package containing files
specific for GNU emacs called emacs-foo, and a subpackage containing
files specific for XEmacs called xemacs-foo. In this case the main
package emacs-common-foo will be required by emacs-foo and emacs-foo
and will contain the files that are not specific to either version of
emacs. An example is emacs-common-muse.

Where a package is only built for GNU Emacs, the main package name is
emacs-foo (see eg. emacs-auctex or emacs-vm). Presumable, if a package
was only meant for XEmacs, it would be called xmeacs-foo. I don't
think there are any of the latter packages.

There are a number of packages that don't yet follow these naming
guidelines, which should be fixed. These are generally packages that
were in Fedora Core and moved to Extras before these Extras guidelines
were established. They need fixing.

Jonathan