crash reporting

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 07:27:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 15:08 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > More to the point, asking the user to install debuginfo _ever_ is a
> > failure.  You have the NEVRs of all packages involved in the crash.
> > Feed them to the bug machine, let the distro reconstruct the backtrace.
>
> In F8 with build IDs, having nothing but the core dump file will be enough
> to easily determine (offline, later) all the packages that were involved.

This sounds sort of tantalising, especially the F8 timeframe. What are
the details ? Is there e.g. an online core dump mapping service to be
made available ? And if so, a standardized desktop UI crash reporter to
submit the core somewhere on crash ?

Seeing as gnome apps intercept by default SEGV and launch bug-buddy
instead of creating a core dump and OOo does similar should we have a
pile of bugs to just remove this stuff and crash to core and let
something else take care of it.

C.