Re: RPM roadmapping

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 15:40 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> I know I'm opening up Pandoras box here but what the heck, it's Friday and
> I'm feeling slightly bored...

I can't recall this having been brought up yet, but sometimes my memory
is spotty and it seems that the mail client's search function doesn't
work properly...

Anyway, if we're talking about huge changes in RPM, I'd like the 2GB
payload barrier to be gone. This will most probably mean having to get
rid of cpio as the underlying archive format as even with fixes in the
code, cpio can't handle more than 4GB (some 32bit integers used in the
format AFAIK). We have other archive formats that don't have this
limitation, so (ignoring compatibility issues of old RPM version with a
new format) I can't see compelling reasons why this shouldn't be
feasible.

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp redhat com
Temporary