Licensing guidelines changes

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Aug 2 19:15:51 UTC 2007

JJ> Shouldn't this be if you find the "or any later version" in all
JJ> files with GPL (resp. LGPL) header?

I have the same question.  I'm doing a merge review of ypbind and it
has:

   The ypbind-mt are free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2
   as published by the Free Software Foundation.

in some of the source code, but also:

<!--  ypbind\-mt is free software; you can redistribute it and/or -->
<!--  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as-->
<!--  published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the -->
<!--  License, or (at your option) any later version. -->

in the docbook manpage.  So what statement do we trust?  They both
make blanket statements about the entire program.

The fun is just beginning, I think; we're trying to be correct in a
way that most upstreams aren't.

 - J<