Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Aug 3 17:47:01 UTC 2007

On 03.08.2007 19:13, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:57:46 +0200
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> As kmods are on the way out in
>> general in Fedora (which is something I in parts agree with) it's even
>> more unlikely now.
> kmods as separate packages is what's hopefully on the way out.

As I said, I agree in parts with it -- I'm these days against having
them in the "Fedora Everything" spin. But I still think we should have a
place for kernel-module packages in the Fedora project. A kind of
"alphaworks", "testing kitchen" or something like that for this and
other stuff that's not in shape for Fedora proper (or rawhide) yet --
with a big fat warning sign "use on your own risk" "this *will* eat
babies" on the front of course. Sure, some people won't read that, but
that's not enough reasons to *not* do it IMHO.

>  Out of
> tree modules can still be included in the main kernel rpm.

Not all. And that's part of the reason why there was a certain interest
from some people inside Red Hat to have a packaging standard tested and
used in Fedora that can get reused for RHEL (which is the case). Well,
some Red Hat people kick kernel modules packages out of Fedora now, so I
expect you guys can fight that out own your own inside Red Hat.

I'm just wondering in general about the current happenings -- some
months ago the Board issued a statement to allow kmods but now a new
FESCo shoots it down again. Well, not my business as well.

> [...]

CU
knurd