Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:29:26 UTC 2007

On Friday, August 03, 2007 3:49 pm Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Well, there is a need for those packages, if you like it or not, so we
> should fine ways to properly support them in rpm and yum. Wich isn#t the
> biggest problem. The big problem is to ship new modules when new kernels
> get shipped. We discussed this and gregdek and some others supported the
> idea to send out a "we are likely pushing kernel-update foo from
> updates-testing to updates proper in 24 hours" *if such a warning period
> is possible (e.g. not in the case of security updates). But that idea
> got lost.

And this is why IMO non-kernel-packaged modules should be provided as plugins
to DKMS.  Then you don't have the "you have to repackage the modules after
every kernel update" problem, because DKMS will do it automatically upon
restart.  And since this is for modules NOT considered "important" (as in,
they wouldn't serve any real purpose in the main kernel), I don't see why
having a dependency on the build tools is so bad.