Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Sun Aug 5 05:50:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 14:37 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I just appreciate the fact that on my Windows and Mac boxes I don't
> have
> to get or rebuild every vendor-supplied driver after every system
> update
> and I think Solaris works that way too.

OTOH, you can't update to 64-bit Vista, because there are no drivers.
And what's the solution to that? Have driver producers license and
escrow their source code to Microsoft, so that they can distribute the
drivers with the OS. Sounds like a good idea. Why isn't Linus doing
that? Oh wait, he is. :)

/abo