cpio not gnu compliant

Why is the Red Hat cpio package heavily modified from the GNU cpio package?

In particular -- the -c option defaults to the new SVR4 format where as the GNU cpio defaults to the old ASCII format.

This breaks compatibility on my app that runs on several different OSes (Red Hat and Fedora being two of them).

Am I forced to build a custom RPM that uses the GNU package?......

Not a happy camper,
Mike