Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:34:49 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> What I'm looking for from this discussion is a definition of the
>> target audience for fedora.
>
> I remember pointing out this to you atleast twice but see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives

There's some mention of usability and robustness there that don't match
my experience except around mid to late FC3 and FC6.

>  Nobody expects perfection, but is there really an
>> audience that doesn't care if their devices stop working or not?
>
> Don't confuse robustness with ABI breakage.

Robustness is something you can observe without knowledge of internals.
   Why something breaks is not particularly relevant.  The question is,
to what degree can you expect it to not break?

>> There have been large chunks of time that it hasn't worked or disks
>> wouldn't be recognized even if it saw a raw IEEE device.  I gave up
>> and switched the machines that needed it to Centos with the centosplus
>> kernel so I don't know the current state except that I've seen
>> comments about a complete rewrite coming so it must still leave
>> something to be desired
>
> The rewrite is already in Fedora 7 (and will be in RHEL 5.1).

Can you - or someone - comment on whether you'd trust it with your
working copy of something important?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com