New db4 update and package changes

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Aug 9 12:27:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 11:01:00AM +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> you may have noticed Oracle released db-4.6.18 recently. The update is
> now prepared in CVS, old db-4.5.20 is now moved to compat-db so the new
> db4 is ready to hit rawhide soon.
>
> I want to announce a change I made in the new db4, that may affect
> you from the packaging POV if your package is dependent on db4. It is
> that I moved all the C++ stuff to db4-cxx and db4-cxx-devel subpackages
> to reduce dependency bloat (#220484).
>
> If you have any proposals/objections related to the update, please speak up.

I can understand the splitting of the runtime bits, but why split the
*-devel package?

If we start splitting devel we would need guidelines as to how far to
split: foo-cxx-devel, foo-f90-devel, foo-python-devel? Or
foo-gtk-devel, foo-qt-devel, foo-cxx-qt-3-but-not-4-devel etc.

foo-devel is currently sacred, even library packages w/o such a
subpackage have to provide it so, the packagers of build-dependent
packages can simply trust that

 BR: foo-devel

will ensure the bits are there. Now they would have to check whether
foo has foo-cxx-devel, too, and whether that goes unnoticed by their
bar detection scripts (e.g. bar just simlently builds C bindings etc).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net