Re: Enabling Compiz by default?

On 8/10/07, Alan Cox <alan redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 03:24:05AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Have we considered enabling Compiz by default in GNOME and fall back to
> metacity if the driver or hardware don't support acceleration? That
> would get desktop effects out of the box on Intel and some ATI cards.

Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java menus

thats java which is broken here not compiz.
its not hoplessly broken there is a workaround for it
export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit
but there are other bugs I explained above (opengl apps)

and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
instead.

? don't understand this compiz _is_ activly maintained

Even then

- Do you know anyone who doesn't turn the effects off eventually ?
- Do we care about the huge increase in power consumption ?

yes here I agree with you.. even thought I don't know how 'huge' it really is.