Re: Enabling Compiz by default?

On 8/10/07, Alan Cox <alan redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:26:05AM +0200, dragoran wrote:
> > Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java menus
>
> thats java which is broken here not compiz.
> its not hoplessly broken there is a workaround for it
> export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit
> but there are other bugs I explained above (opengl apps)

Allow me to explain the user view point

        "I DONT CARE"

true.....

Compatibility works because the components don't plead strict standards
compliance at each other but compensate. So if we are shipping compiz
by default we need to either
        - Fix java (assuming it all ends up free in time)

would be the best solution

        - Ensure the environment fix is set by default

would be easy to do but its somehow a hack.... but we did something similar for flash before until it gots fixed so what...

> and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
> > instead.
>
> ? don't understand this compiz _is_ activly maintained

Didn't seem to be.

again I dunno where you got this do you mean compiz upstream or  in fedora?
I agree that compiz in fedora needs more love but upstream _is_ maintained just look at the commits in the git tree:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/app/compiz.git;a=summary