Disabling atime

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 10 02:42:42 UTC 2007

> Hi
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148
>
> Looks like we get a good performance boost and only tmpwatch and mutt
> with mbox seems to be affected. A simple patch to tmpwatch has been
> posted on the same thread.
>
> Thoughts on disabling it?
IMO, disabling atime by default, just because 99% of applications, don't
use it, is short-sighted. It basically ditches a fundamental feature of
unix filessystems and converts there behavior to "DOS'ish".

That said, I feel "noatime" might be suitable for selected partitions,
but not as a general solution.

Also, I never understood what noatime solves what mounting partitions
read-only can't do more properly.

Ralf