Enabling Compiz by default?

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 10 10:59:41 UTC 2007

I couldn't agree more. MacOSX is the living proof that opengl
compositing is functional and efficient.

If there was a "huge increase in power consumption" then a MacBook's
battery would only last for an hour. A GPU is better in handling the GUI
than a CPU is, even with current graphics cards that do little about
power efficiency.

my 2cents.

Ioannis

PS: overloading your desktop by enabling extra fancy effects will of
course result in higher power consumption. That's the user's choice to
make. The defaults so offer the basic experience and emphasise in
usability rather than bling.