Re: Enabling Compiz by default?

On 8/10/07, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
Josh Boyer (jwboyer jdub homelinux org) said:
> > This is rawhide. We can do this.
>
> Of course.  We can do anything.  The more important question is should
> we.  I think no, but I don't really care that much either.

As compiz/beryl with the current infrastructure:

- break running other GL apps
- break Xv apps

I really can't see a reason why we'd enable this by default right now.

Why not look at a default compositor/window manager that allows basic
compositing features without the need for a OpenGL accelerated graphics
engine?  As stated above you can get nice screen redraws, drop shadows
and subtle visual translucies with almost all chipsets using just 2d drivers.

My biggest problem with our default window manager is that you move a
window across the screen and watch as parts of it redraw to catch up.

Jon