Re: Disabling atime

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> I'd expect the RedHat-style approach to this to be: add some file
> >> under /etc/sysconfig like mount-options that contains options that can
> >> be merged with the ones in /etc/fstab and all of the magic
> >> automounting bits (this is probably as important on usb flash drives
> >> as anywhere).
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> > There is something which leap out at me as soon a I saw this: the kind
> > of person who _needs_ atime, knows how to set it. The majority of people
> > - especially the home use - has little or no use for it whatsoever.
The crux is _nobody_ really know if he really uses or might have a future use-case for it.

Also it's very hard to find out if notime breaks a use-case, because it
in most won't cause applications to barf, but to silently "mis-behave".

In best case, after some amount of time, he will notice that something
won't work "as advertised".

> The majority of people will see a performance boost they will appreciate
> regardless of whether they know about atime or not.
Please provide figures of the boost you have experienced personally for
the test cases you have experienced.

Ralf