Disabling atime

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Aug 12 06:59:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 12:05 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > It is a _documented_, _standardized_ feature of the OS, being in
> > existance ever since Unix exists.
>
> Either it's used and useful or it isn't. Linux has introduced several
> features that Unix hasn't and not implemented some Unix has including
> some "documented and standardized" features.
>
> > Once again, you are not able to know if you want it nor if you will want
> > it.
> >
> > Have you ever tried it or are you just FUDing around?
>
> I don't see how FUD applies in any way here. If people don't know
> whether they want it or not now, they will learn when they need to.
Provide the results of the tests you exercised yourself. So far you
haven't.

All you did was to agitate and reiterate populist propaganda.

My checks so far have not provided any indication noatime solves
anything, also I can not reproduce the 50% speedup some people claim to
see.

>>> We don't need to worry about non existent features.
>> Bummer, that's what I call "wide-sight" and "leadership quality".
>
> Instead of resorting to adhominem attacks as usual try and address
> the subject in hand.

The subject at hand are:
- You are wanting to cripple Fedora, by sacrificing a little used
feature.
 Thereby you are closing out certain types of future developments and
current usages. I call this short-sightedness and narrow-mindedness.
 You are wanting Fedora to diverge away from UNIX. You are conventing
Fedora into WinIx.

- I think you are not qualified to judge the technical side-effects of
what you are proposing and not qualified to take a leading role in
fedora. I was glad to see you failed the elections.