Re: Disabling atime

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:04:33 -0500, Eric Sandeen <esandeen redhat com> wrote:

> IOW, if this change is made, I think it should be done with eyes wide
> open - what is the measurable advantage, under what workloads, for what
> filesystems, etc - as well as what the potential drawbacks are.

Turning off atime is not new and even with ancient UNIXes it provided
miniscule gains in outright throughput, although I suspect it can be
possible to create a contrieved benchmark to demonstrate improvement.
I do not expect noatime to be justifiable on the grounds of performance.

However, if dropping atime allows to reduce the number of hard drive
spin-ups, I'm all for it.

-- Pete