Zope, Plone and Python; Redux

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Mon Aug 13 20:22:02 UTC 2007

> look at how strict the above requirements are. Some things will continue
> to need the Plone 2.5.x release which will be maintained until Plone 3.5
> is ready. Also, Zope is very useful for more then just Plone and there
> are actually four (maybe more) active branches of Zope; 2.9.x 2.10.x
> 2.11.x and 3.x. 2.9-11 (IMHO) are the most used, but Zope 3 will still
> be used by many. This brings us to the point.

I'm not sure I follow all of the issues, but could you just pick one
zope+plone combination per Fedora release and run with it, realizing
that not everyone will be pleased? The not-pleased still have the option
of installing from the tar files, after all.

Right now, F7 has no zope+plone, which is an unhappy situation. Any
working combination would be an improvement.

Perhaps Plone 2.5 for F8, and Plone 3.0 for F9 in 6 months, with copious
release notes in F9 detailing the transition (similar to when postgres
breaks compatibility between Fedora releases).

Just my suggestions...

- Mike