reducing power usage of Fedora - how you can help!

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Tue Aug 14 14:12:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 10:39 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> On my laptop (core2duo based) S06cpuspeed causes 100 wakeups/sec .
> Seems like its already noted here:
> http://linuxpowertop.org/known.php#ondemand
> "Intel fixed this and the patches to the kernel to effectively remove
> this timer are included in Linus' tree as of 2.6.22-rc1." I am running
> 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 which should already have this changes but it seems the
> problem isn't solved yet.

the problem is solved; the reporting is not. 2.6.23-rc also reports the
timers as "deferred" so that powertop can skip them (and version 1.8
will do just that).

If you see many wakups from this then you have even more other ones..
since ondemand wakeups only happen now if something else wakes the cpu
up anyway.