Re: dropping gdialog

Ian Chapman wrote:
Matthias Clasen wrote:
zenity ships a compatibility script for the old gdialog.
That script is written in perl, which forces a perl dependency on
zenity. I'd like to drop the script and the dependency from
the rawhide zenity package. repoquery couldn't find anything that
requires either gdialog or /usr/bin/gdialog.
If you know a good reason why gdialog needs to stay, please let me know,
otherwise it'll be gone soon.

Why not put gdialog into a sub-rpm? It would eliminate the perl dependancy on zenity itself but retains the option to use gdialog just in case?

Keep in mind that more packages or sub-packages slows down all RPM dependency transactions.

I believe it may be wise indeed to get rid of it given that it is so very old, to provide compat functionality for GNOME 1.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com