Re: cpuspeed (and other) service stop scripts

Dave Jones wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 07:14:25AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > speaking of cpuspeed... why does it have a script that runs at shutdown?
 > sounds like a total waste of cpu cycles and disk accesses and spuriously
> making boot times longer.. since really what would it to?
Sometimes it's useful to be able to 'service cpuspeed stop'.
AIUI, the problem is we don't have a way to discriminate between that
use case, and shutting down.

service cpuspeed stop basically just runs "/etc/rc.d/init.d/cpuspeed stop". That's independent from having a /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K99cpuspeed script that runs at shutdown. However, the other thing that the stop does is remove the /var/lock/subsys/cpuspeed file. These files are pretty tightly integrated to our service system and forces most services to get explicitly stopped. Might be worth examining how useful the lock file is and whether *every* init script should use it.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion cora nwra com