Re: GPL and LGPL not acceptable for Fedora!

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:22:30 -0400
Simo Sorce <ssorce redhat com> wrote:

I think this is wrong, I am sorry I didn't catch it before, but if
COPYING is not just a mere copy of the GPL license as published by the
FSF, but it is actually an obviously edited file which express the
intention of the Author, it do matter by all means, and it express the
license you should use.
Of course conflicts with the license in single source files have to be
resolved, but if source files lack any mention of the license version
they are under, what matter is what's in COPYING. IMO IANAL

But what if the file isn't modified, and is obviously a verbatim copy
from the webpage?

if the source doesn't say something else (nothing) it is whatever is stated in COPYING. (IANAL)