no restriction license?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 16 16:05:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:57:53PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Erm, I thought the "License: foo and bar" was only necessary if there are
> different licensed binaries in the same rpm (not srpm, think subpackages),
> and that if one binary has code from multiple compatible licenses that then
> only the strictest license should be named for that binary, as that is the
> effective license for that binary then. So if I have a package with 3
> binaries, one all GPLv2+ code, one GPLv2+ and some BSD code, and one GPLv2+
> and LGPLv2+ code, then all 3 binaries are effectively licensed under GPLv2+
> and thus the License tag is just: "GPLv2+" and not "GPLv2+ and LGPLv2+ and
> BSD".

This is not what is written here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/LicensingGuidelines#head-5dcaa7704b32aabaddc2e709f328f48eea6c91de

Quoting:
If your package contains files which are under multiple, distinct, and
independent licenses, then the spec must reflect this by using "and" as
a separator. Fedora maintainers are highly encouraged to avoid this
scenario whenever reasonably possible, by dividing files into
subpackages (subpackages can each have their own License: field).

It should certainly be precised; When speaking about files is it about
source files? Or only packaged files?

If when source files are under LGPLv2+ and MIT the the license should be
LGPLv2+ and not LGPLv2+ and MIT, it should be explained on the page.

--
Pat