PulseAudio is now enabled by default on new Fedora installs

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Thu Aug 16 21:22:29 UTC 2007

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 16.08.07 22:43, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn (d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de) wrote:
>
>> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> layers. Please do *not* file any bugs regarding adobe flash. We know
>>> it doesn't work on PA. Flash is completely broken when it comes to
>>> audio it we can neither support it through our ESD compat nor through
>>> our ALSA compat. Due to the closed source nature of Flash we cannot go
>>> and fix their code. I will eventually add some workarounds for
>>> this. But it's low priority on my list, given the closed source nature
>>> of Flash. Oh, and Flash is evil anyway. ;-)
>>
>> Does that mean users installing F8 will not be able to use YouTube, etc.?
>> That sounds like a big showstopper for a lot of people out there...
>
> Last time I looked F8 didn't ship Flash.

Which doesn't change the fact that it's important functionality for users.

> As I mentioned, I am working on some solution that can improve the
> situation.

Your statement in the announcement sounded very pessimistic in that regard.
  What I wanted to point out is that it's probably not a good idea to make
the switch to PA before this is fixed because of the possible user
backlash. If by "low priority" you mean "I'll get this in before the final
release" then that's obviously not a problem anymore. It just didn't come
across like this in the announcement.

Regards,
   Dennis