Re: PulseAudio is now enabled by default on new Fedora installs

Lennart Poettering wrote:
3. I don't want to reinstall my system just to get PA installed. What
  can I do to install PA on my Rawhide system?

  Run "sudo yum install pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat
  pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-x11
  gstreamer-plugins-pulse pulseaudio-utils alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
  pavucontrol"

  You might also want to install a couple of optional packages:

  "sudo yum install pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-module-lirc
  pavumeter paman paprefs padevchooser"

  You also have to make sure that some GConf keys are set up properly:

  /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc -> pulsesrc
  /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
  /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
  /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)

  /desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd -> True

Okay, as I maintain many games and I want to make sure this doesn't mess things up, I've followed the above instructions. No joy. pa (through /usr/bin/esd) doesn't get started, when started from a terminal I get:

[hans shalem ~]$ esd
W: main.c: WARNING: called SUID root, but not in group 'pulse-rt'.
pulseaudio: pulsecore/fdsem.c:181: pa_fdsem_after_poll: Assertion `pa_atomic_dec(&f->waiting) >= 1' failed.
Aborted
[hans shalem ~]$

This is on x86_64 rawhide (last fully updated about a week ago), please don't tell me pa isn't 64 bit clean, because then it really should be removed as an F-8 feature.

Regards,

Hans