PulseAudio is now enabled by default on new Fedora installs

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 20 19:24:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16.08.07 17:43, Warren Togami (wtogami at redhat.com) wrote:

> >>But it's low priority on my list, given the closed source nature
> >>of Flash. Oh, and Flash is evil anyway. ;-)
> >
> >Are you actually talking to the Adobe developers about this?
> >

> Is the PulseAudio native interface (???) stable now?

The external PA API has been stable for one and a half years now. And
I am not planning to break the API anytime soon. Of course, I am quite
sure that the API as it stands now is not the best design ever
invented (it's too difficult to use because of its asynchronous
style). I have been working with a couple of guys on something called
"libsydney" which is intended to be the definite API for PCM audio,
not just for PA, but for everything scaling from embedded devices, to
desktop use to pro audio. It's going to become the default API for PA,
but we'll keep the current API around as well, because it allows
introspection and stuff, which the new abstracted API will not.

In short: the current API is considered stable and is going to stay
around for quite a while. New things will come, but this takes time.

> (If Adobe targeted that interface directly can they rely on it not
> changing for years?)

Yes, the current PA API is going to be supported in PA for at least
two more years, very likely longer.

Lennart