Rebuilds needed for Fedora 8

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 17:31:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:23:29 -0400
"Ray Strode" <halfline at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why does it do that?

Automated rebuilds are often done with low priority, so that normal
priority builds aren't held up for days on end (it takes a long time to
build 3K packages x 4 arches).  If you were to go in after the
automation came along and updated cvs and scheduled the build,
and /you/ again bumped CVS and started a build, your build would
complete before the automated one, then the automated one would
complete and actually be the 'latest' package since the last tagged
package wins.  Your change would be lost.  To prevent this, you need to
wait until the automated build completes, or you have to get rel-eng to
cancel the build.  It adds a lot of confusion as to the state of the
build system.

> > Plus as stated other places
> > there are still a very large number of packages that have improper
> > License tags in specs so those really could get updated at the same
> > time as the maintainer driven build, to prevent further spurious
> > builds.
> License tags don't have to be fixed before test 2, though, other
> things like getting features in before feature freeze, and making the
> release more stable should take priority.

Rebuilding for licensing tags, since it is a rebuild action, does need
to happen sooner than later so that we can catch any fallout from a
rebuild.

Doing builds later than earlier threatens stability which you're trying
to achieve.  Developing features isn't something that every person can
do, if you had co-maintainers for your packages you could ask that they
do your tedious rebuilds while you work on the feature stuff.  This is
a big reason why we opened the build system so that you /could/ assign
resources where they're most needed and most wisely used.

--
Jesse Keating