Re: /lib/lsb/init-functions vs. /etc/init.d/functions in init scripts?

On 08/27/2007 06:37 PM, John Dennis wrote:
Folks are supposed to upgrade their init.d scripts to support LSB.

Some of this is covered here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit/Initscripts

One aspect of that is to switch from sourcing /etc/init.d/functions to
sourcing /lib/lsb/init-functions.

On the OLPC, we were concerned that the old initscript
infrastructure had a considerable overhead.  Would this
change have a beneficial impact on speed?

I used this benchmark to measure how slow a dummy
initscript is:

 http://www.codewiz.org/pub/true.init

Run it like this:

 time for i in `seq 1 10`; do ./true.init start; done

On a B3/B4 laptop, executing 10 loops takes over
2 seconds.  (and just 1.3 seconds with LANG=C!)

--
  // Bernardo Innocenti
\X/  http://www.codewiz.org/