Pirut: Edit -> Repositories mock-up -- Part 3.

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Tue Aug 28 11:10:12 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:

>>> Okay, this makes some sense.  Although we could just have that handled
>>> under the covers and still let you just select between mirror url and a
>>> baseurl.  But that would get a little weird switching between them I
>>> guess.  I still think you're going to want to allow a radio button
>>> between the two.  Because you can also disable the baseurl (in fact,
>>> that's the default config).  Maybe we just make the baseurl and the
>>> mirror url both handled like the gpg key above.
>>>
>> Disabling the baseurl is a default config for the Fedora repositories,
>> and may not be so for custom distributed file:// based repositories or
>> some ad-hoc http:// or ftp:// repository created by a developer or an
>> organization.
>>
>> If we look at it from a higher level of abstraction what are the most
>> basic things needed to get a repository working? A repo id, a name and
>> a baseurl come to mind.
>>

> Fully agreed.  But we're wanting to use the same sort of interface for
> editing as adding (because there's lots of win there).  And given
> _that_, we don't want to necessarily hide what the defaults are.
> Otherwise, I'd be in 100% agreement with you.  Maybe the thing to do is
> to go the route you're saying, but just look and auto-expand if a mirror
> list or gpg key is set.
>
> Jeremy

Here is my arcii art proposal to the dialog, based on the comments on
the list

Name         [ <Repo Tag>
                                                                ]
Description  [ <Name= in .repo file
                                                   ]

(*) Baseurl   ( ) Mirrorlist
[file://path/to/local/repo
]
[http://remote.server.org/path/to/repo
]
[
]

 > Advandced
    [x] GPG Check [<Url to gpg key, gray out if
unchecked>                                ]

The dialog can be use for both add & edit of repositories.
I have dumped the idea of a protocol button, it clutters the dialog to
much, a so does the file selector buttons, and they
don't make much sense in multi line baseurls, where file:// & http://
can be mixed.

if baseurl is selected the use all the lines in the multi line TextView
to create baseurl=, if mirrorlist is selected then just use the first line.
If someone want to use both at the same time (yes, it is posible :-) ),
then they have to edit the repo files directly :).

Tim