Guidelines for creating subpackages?

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:38:10 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 9:47 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Christopher Stone wrote:
>
> > All I am saying is that if we want Fedora to be used as a base
> > distribution for other distributions, we need to start focusing a lot
> > more as a community on making sub-packages for optional requirements.
>
> I'm curious, can you describe precisely the reasoning from
> 1.  more subpkgs for optional components
> X.  improves fedora as a base
> X+1. profit!
> ?

Sorry, confused by X and X+1 and profit! Have no clue what you are
talking about.  Can you try being more down to earth please.

> It's not entirely clear to me that making subpkgs is really a (or the!)
> major requirement for X.

It's very simple.  It will allow you to more easily make a customized
distribution from a Fedora base.  If you cannot understand this simple
concept, I'm afraid I cannot explain it to you in any more simpler
terms.