Guidelines for creating subpackages?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 11:05:44 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 11:51:27AM +0100, Denis Leroy wrote:

> I feel the most important thing must remain ease of installation for
> end-users. If you "yum install foo", you expect foo to be fully working
> after installation (and how many dependencies it pulls is not necessarily
> important if you're using yum directly). Remember we don't really have a
> mechanism in place to say "since you just installed foo, you should really
> consider installing foo-extras, foo-extensions and foo-plugins as well.

End-users also expect a package install not to drag in packages that are
not useful. Especially system administrator end-users who care about
avoiding bloat. Installing everything may be confusing too, not for a
user who just don't care about what is installed on his computer but for
a user who want to keep control.

--
Pat