Guidelines for creating subpackages?

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 23:44:10 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 6:15 PM, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> Perhaps if there were a new form of dependency, where a package would be
> installed iff all packages that, umm, "co-require" it were installed.  So
> then (pulling a bogus example out of my rear) Python bindings for GTK2
> would only be installed if both Python and GTK2 were installed, and yum
> would install it when installing the last of the co-dependent packages.
> This new thing would require much package splitting and tweaking of
> co-requires to be useful.

+1

> In the case of -devel packages (though I don't personally mind very much
> when such a package pulls in other packages), would it be reasonable in
> most cases to just not have them require any other packages?  Most of them
> are headers, which will be useful during compilation whether or not the
> resulting binary can run, but the source that uses them probably already
> pulls in whatever of those other packages it actually needs.  I would
> think.  (Anyway, co-requires will save me here!)

Why shouldn't devel packages pull in a boatload of requirements?  If i
make a graphical wrapper around say gnome-devel, it would make my life
easier writing a spec file to just say 'gnome-devel' and know
everything is included.  IMHO, build environments tend to be very
heavy, and require alot of resources anyways.

-Yaakov